Our 5W Wednesday series highlights a variety of health care organizations, professionals and programs that keep our community healthy.
What is it?
The Community Health Committee (CHC) is the coalition of the Health Improvement Plan of Washtenaw County (HIP), a countywide partnership led by the Washtenaw County Public Health Department whose purpose is to improve health in Washtenaw County by facilitating partnerships, providing information, and developing strategies. The CHC has included over 200 participants from diverse organizations including health systems, government, schools, community-based organizations, business, neighborhood and faith-based groups, and individual citizens.
Who can come to the meetings?
You! Anyone is welcome to attend the meetings where we share progress on HIP objectives, identify opportunities for collaboration, and learn about best practices occurring in the realm of community health improvement . Approximately 30-60 members attend each coalition meeting. Join the CHC email list for regular updates!
Why should I attend this meeting?
This month’s meeting is titled, “Health and Academics: Linked for Success.”
Every year, 600+ Washtenaw County kids don’t graduate with their peers. What happens to them and why do they leave school? And what role does ‘health’ play in school achievement…is it a “driver,” an “outcome” or something else?
- Naomi Norman, Director of Assessment, Planning and Research at Washtenaw Intermediate School Disctrict/Livingston Educational Service Agency
- Sarena Shivers, Interim Assistant Superintendent, Washtenaw Intermediate School District
- Jennifer Salerno, Director of the University of Michigan’s Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools (RAHS) School-Based Health Center program. (Unfamiliar with RAHS? Check out our pervious 5W Wednesday post on RAHS here!)
- The relationship between adolescent risk behaviors, academics, and poverty
- Widening Advancement for Youth, a new county high school geared to increase graduation rates through high expectations and strong social supports
- How Regional Alliance for Healthy Schools continues bridging health and education locall
When is the next meeting?
The next Community Health Committee Meeting is May 17, from 12:00 noon – 1:30pm. Lunch is provided for those who RSVP. Please RSVP by Thursday, May 12, to Keven Mosley-Koehler at email@example.com, 734-544-3078. The next CHC meetings will be held September 20 and November 15 at the same time.
Where are the meetings held?
2011 CHC meetings will be held at Ellen Thompson Womens Health Center, Saint Joseph Mercy Health System, on the Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti Campus. The address is 5320 Elliot Drive, Ypsilanti, MI 48197.
The Womens Health Center is located in the Specialty Centers Area. View campus map. Get driving directions.